Project Engineer - Power Electrification required on a permanent basis to join an industry leading automotive business.
This position offers the opportunity to be responsible for the on-time delivery of HV Distribution, DCDC converters and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration into vehicles and to the grid on all programmes.
- To define, own and deliver HV Distribution, DCDC conversion and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration into vehicle and to the grid from concept through to production, including achieving:
- Lead generation and delivery of robust technical specifications and timing plans for RFQ, including Functional Safety, Cybersecurity and EMC requirements to ensure compliance
- Manage CAD engineers to achieve static & dynamic clearance targets, negotiate component change in other R&D departments if required to achieve clearances.
- Identify & contain potential quality concerns using engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies)
- Support the definition of DVP activities and on-time delivery of in-house and supplier tests on rigs and vehicles
- Definition of programme cost targets and working with suppliers to deliver system that achieves these targets. Maintain control of tooling, engineering & part costs via Cost Management System and predict the spend to the end of the project to ensure that it can be completed within the available budget.
- Definition of programme weight targets and managing CAD engineers to design system that achieves targets
- Main point of contact for HV Distribution, DCDC conversion and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration into vehicle for feasibility, functionality and active resolution of technical issues on given projects
- Deliver the commodity programme to meet Mission Gateway objectives including leading Final Engineering Sign Off activities
- Develop and deliver commodity strategy for all HV Distribution, HV DC/DC converters and on-vehicle charging system alongside commodity plans for each programme including design & manufacturing lead-times and key programme deliverables timing.
- Present status at Gateways and support Powertrain design reviews, Package Meetings & Powertrain PMT meetings.
- Work cross-functionally with other R&D departments (especially Electrical Circuits and EDS teams) to define HV Distribution, DCDC conversion, on-vehicle charging system and efficient power management strategy balancing characteristics to achieve vehicle requirements for minimum cost
- Support all Virtual Verification activities, including packaging, 1D & 3D analyses
- Complete Change Tracking Documents, Engineering Release Notices & Releases to allow engineering changes to be approved.
- Resolve engineering Concerns in a timely fashion.
- Lead FMEAs and input to manufacturing PFMEAs.
- Acquire and evaluate competitor benchmark information to influence concept creation in early project phases
- Coordinate system and supplier comparison studies and evaluate RFQ responses to influence management decisions
- Establish regular design reviews with cross functional teams
- Support Intellectual Property (IP) team to protect company generated IP
- Train, coach and present technical information at all levels and share the knowledge throughout the business
- Develop and record best practices and lead development of all HV Distribution, DCDC conversion and on-vehicle charging system design manuals to handle the Powertrain Electrification requirements of today and the future
Essential experience you will need:
- Delivery of HV Distribution, DCDC converters and on-vehicle charging systems and integration for hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Hands on experience of working with LV and HV systems
- Knowledge of all relevant vehicle legislation and certification requirements for automotive HV Distribution, DCDC converters and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration
- Successful delivery of systems to automotive Functional Safety, Cybersecurity and EMC requirements
- Led development of charging strategies and charging profiles
- Knowledge of project life cycle management from early R&D to series production
Highly desirable experience
- HV Distribution, DCDC converters and charging system development for high performance hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Understanding of hybrid and electric powertrain system functionalities and attributes at vehicle, system and component levels
- Leadership of technical teams delivering product development projects to production
- Vehicle fusing, relays, harness and connectors
- Design of vehicle power management systems
- Data analysis of CAN logs to resolve faults
- Experience of battery load balance requirements
- Automotive battery technology and requirements including battery protection systems
- Leading of DVP's and DFMEA ensuring timely completion of Final Engineering Sign off
- Component Releasing and Change Control management
- Strong user of MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with CAD
Randstad CPE values diversity and promotes equality. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate against any of the protected characteristics that fall under the Equality Act 2010. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are more than happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements as required to support your application.
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
For the purposes of the Conduct Regulations 2003, when advertising permanent vacancies we are acting as an Employment Agency, and when advertising temporary/contract vacancies we are acting as an Employment Business.